People ask me why I want prostitution legalized and I always give them the same answer; there are more pros than cons. It makes sense to legalize prostitution. The only reason why people want prostitution banned is because they think it takes advantage of women, which can be eliminated and because they think its immoral to be a prostitute, which they have no right to judge any one on.
So if you take a completely unbiased approach to the problem and try and solve it, the only conclusion that you can come to is that prostitution laws need to be completely reformed. We need to start regulating prostitution and bringing it out of dark alleys into places where we can regulate and tax it. This in turn may actually slow down prostitution, the ultimate goal of the moralists.
However morals should not be the topic when talking about prostitution. There are certain morals which govern our laws, such as don’t kill any one. Don’t steal anything. Don’t rape any one. These are simple morals that all have an effect on the people around you. You wouldn’t want to be killed. You wouldn’t want to have anything stolen from you. You wouldn’t want to be raped. Therefor you don’t do them to other people. However when two consenting adults make an agreement that has no effect on any one around them, then morals fail to be of any consequence to the greater good of society.
If we started policing all moral questions regardless of their effect on greater society, we’d be going into a very dangerous territory. How about the government telling you if you can swear or not? If you can have that drink on the way home from work? If you can get a quick wank in when you’re in the shower. The bottom line is morals are not a topic of conversation in the topic of prositution, and trying to impose your morals on other people when they have no effect on anyone, is an infringement of people’s right to be free.
With that being said if you’re able to realize that it’s not a moral issue, it’s really a matter of being ration enough to look at the pros and cons of legalizing prostitution. We often times look at prostitution and think that the people we’re protecting are minors or they’re women that are beaten and drugged by ruthless pimps. However if you look at the ideal situation of prostitution as licensed and educated providers of intimate services and you look at the clients as people who conform to society’s standards and not some sex starved pyschos, it’s easy to envision an interaction between prostitutes and their clients that is both regulated and taxed.
Pros of legalizing prostitution far outweigh the cons. The cons in a would-be world are that of moral issues. Married men seeking sex outside of their marriages is really the only con that you could drum up in a perfectly regulated prostitution industry. When you consider the long list of pros to legalizing and regulating prostitution it really makes very little sense to any rational person on why it should remain legal.
The only other negative point that can be pulled from legalizing prostitution is if you think the system overall won’t work and that the underworld of crime and pimps and drugs will still run prostitution. However as an open minded society, we need to be able to look past this. We need to stop sweeping things that we think are ugly under the carpet and pretending that if we can’t see them, they’re not a problem. What I mean by that is we need to attack underworld prostitution by educating the public. A full out awareness campaign promoting the legitimacy of legal prostitutes and warning people the dangers of seeing illegal prostitutes and removing the clientel from the underworld aspect, at least the large majority of them.
With most Johns they are law abiding citizens in every single aspect of their life, the only thing that they that is illegal is seeing escorts and prostitutes. That speaks for at least 80% of the men who buy sexual services. The other 20% will continue to do what they do and need to be prosecuted, but by regulating and making it safe for the other 80% you will keep them away from using the services of the illegal prostitutes which are the women who we are trying to protect. If a man sees an escort on the street, then he’s not going to check her ID. He’s not going to know if the only reason she’s prostituting herself is because she is a sexual slave that’s a victim of human trafficking. He knows he wants the services of the escort and is quite possibly nervous about the escort being a cop. He doesn’t ask for her ID, or to check and make sure she’s okay. If he knew that seeing an illegal prostitute was supporting all of those criminal activites, and that he could see a legal prostitute in a safe environment, those 80% of men would chose the legal option.
You might also think that prostitutes wouldn’t want to work under the regulation and the taxes of the government, however the government also works as a escrow in this situation making the transaction safer for both sides. It’s also a win for the prostitutes because they can work in situations that are more comfortable. There are many upscale escorts who are forced into providing sexual services that they would rather not. Services like kissing, unprotected oral sex and others. If it were against the rules of a licensed escort to provide these services, it would provide a level playing field for all escorts and prostitutes where they don’t have to decide what services they offer based on what the competition is doing, rather what they are comfortable doing which promotes safer sex with prostitutes and their clients.